T20 World Cup snub won’t bother Harris

August 21st, 2012

the thought of missing out on national selection would crush most cricketers.

but the much more frightening prospect of an angry fiancee has ensured Test speedster Ryan Harris won’t mind at all if he doesn’t get a World Cup Twenty20 call-up this week.

Harris was named in the preliminary 30-man Australian squad to be whittled down to 15 by Saturday ahead of next month’s T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka.

And he initially thought he was a chance for the tournament after James Pattinson was overlooked for the squad and Brett Lee’s international retirement.

However, a quiet word at this week’s national training camp in Darwin has given him the impression he won’t get a nod – much to his relief.

Harris is scheduled to get married in Adelaide on September 8 – 10 days before the T20 World Cup starts.

“She misunderstood me when we were planning it,” Harris said in Brisbane on Wednesday.

“She thought we were okay to do it no matter what but I told her two weeks ago if I got picked in the squad we would have to postpone it and she nearly fell over.

“But she’s all good. Not being picked will probably make the day a bit easier.”

Australian T20 captain George Bailey all but confirmed the 15 players set to tackle Pakistan in a three-game series in UAE in early September would be the squad going to Sri Lanka.

“Hopefully that group of guys performs and stays fit and I think that’s the 15 that will be best suited for us to go as far as we can in that tournament,” Bailey told ESPNcricinfo website.

that means a spin-heavy attack in Sri Lanka boasting Brad Hogg, Xavier Doherty and rookie Glenn Maxwell with Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Ben Hilfenhaus leading the quicks.

Harris admitted to some “nerve wracking” moments before tying the knot but said there were no dramas in yet another recovery from injury.

It would be a relief for national selectors after placing the onus on their injury-plagued pace attack ahead of a busy Test schedule that starts with South Africa and Sri Lanka here this summer before next year’s Ashes.

Harris agreed the bowlers must lift after selectors made their intentions clear when only six batsmen were included in the 17-strong Cricket Australia contract list for 2012-13.

However, Harris said it was inevitable that their bowling depth would be tested.

“We will play a massive role,” he said.

“(But) injury is always going to be there with bowling.

“I have been asked a number of questions over the past few weeks how do we prevent injuries but I don’t know the answer to that and neither do the medicos.

“You are twisting and turning and putting a lot of pressure on your body – it (injury) is one of those things that are going to happen.”

– AAP

T20 World Cup snub won’t bother Harris

Leave a Reply